OUR LADY OF FORSAKEN
The Chapel dedicated to the Lady of Forsaken (Capilla de la Virgen de los Desamparados) is located in Colonia Segarra, the former industrial district of the Segarra Factory, the most important footwear manufacturing centre in Spain throughout the 20th century.
This temple was erected in 1946 in the heart of the industrial colony, built to serve the factory workers. The owner of the Segarra Factory ordered it to be built and dedicated the chapel to the Virgen de los Desamparados. Thus, the chapel, the doctors’ clinic, the first 100 houses and 12 fountains in the neighbourhood were blessed.
It is a church with a gabled roof with a wooden structure made up of recessed joists. On top of the joists, there is a beam of wooden planks and curved ceramic tiles have been used as a covering.
The chapel belongs ecclesiastically to the parish of Jesús Obrero, in the nearby neighbourhood of La Unión.